Editor's Note---The register is indebted to Mr. A. C. Quisenberry, of Hyattsville, Maryland, for this interesting diary. The introduction is by Mr. Quisenberry.

In the year 1850 Narciso Lopez led his first expedition (known in history as "the Cardenas Expedition") to upset Spanish rule in Cuba---an expedition which came near being successful, and which created an intense interest and excitement in the United States at the time, especially in Kentucky. Lopez's force consisted of three small regiments of troops only, namely: the Kentucky regiment, Col. Theodore O'Hara, Lt. Col. John T. Pickett and Major Thomas T. Hawkins, with a strength of 240 men; the Louisiana regiment, Col. Wheat, 160 men; and the Mississippi regiment, Col. Bunch, 140 men.

In the Kentucky regiment was a young Marion C. Taylor, a native of Ohio county, but then a resident of Shelbyville, where he enlisted in Captain Jack Allen's company of that town. Mr. Taylor kept a diary during the expedition, copy of which we have the privilege of presenting to the readers of the Register.

Dr. R. F. Logan was a surgeon in the 15th Kentucky infantry. He presented Col. Taylor's diary to the family of Col. Taylor's sister, Mrs. Margaret Taylor Harbison, of Shelbyville, and the writer is indebted to her niece, Miss Martha S. Harbison, for the privilege of copying the diary.

After the close of the expedition, Marion C. Taylor was a successful lawyer in Shelbyville. At the opening of the Civil War, in 1861, he took sides with the Union, and at once raised a company of troops, which became Company A of the 15th Kentucy Volunteers, and not long afterwards he became colonel of the regiment, in which he served with distinction until the close of the war. Col. Taylor, who died in 1871, was always one of the leading citizens of Shelby county. A short time before his death he presented his "Cardenas Expedition" diary to Dr. R. F. Logan, a son of his old friend, Captain John A. Logan, who was mortally wounded in the battle of Cardenas, described, in its pages. The diary is still in an excellent state of preservation, after its 71 years of existence. It will be noted that in the postscript on the last page, Colonel Taylor says: "The foregoing is but a brief skeleton of the expedition to Cuba. I have much to say respecting it, but have not the time nor the disposition to do so at present." Doctor Logan is authority for the statement that Colonel Taylor never wrote another line about that expedition.

The diary follows:

Shelbyville, Ky., April 3, 1850.---today being Wednesday I set out foe Louisville on the stage, the object before me being one of a great moment, and attended by many difficulties. We stopped at the Louisville Hotel, and I had the pleasure of seeing many of my old friends. I purchased a double-barreled shot gun, knife, etc.

Louisville, April 3rd.---About 12 o'clock m., Captain Jack Allen and myself left for Portland, where we found the steamboat Saladin. The balance of our company joined us during the evening. The day was pregnant with many amusing incidents. We went aboard the boat and remained here until the 6th inst.

Portland, April 6th.---Preparations are going on rapidly for our departure. The Louisville boys came to join us today, accompanied by some friends, and we had a gay time before they bid us adieu. It is dusk, and the bell announces our departure upon the long journey before us. It is joyful news. I must look forward to what is before me. It is the future I have to prepare for--time alone can reveal it.

The trip from Louisville to New Orleans was attended with much that was agreeable, but was not free from some unpleasant incidents. The weather was very dreary. Often unpleasant emotions were awakened in my mind by the beautiful scenery. The river was very high in many places, overflowing its banks. We reached New Orleans on Friday morning the 12th instant. Colonel P. came on board to see us. He is a man of good appearance, his character will be more fully understood hereafter.

New Orleans, La., April 13th.---I spent the day rambling over the city until 12 o'clock m. then the Shelby and Scott boys went to board with Madam Hughes, and the Louisville boys went to Madame Stone's, and we are still left to hope for the future.

Sunday, 14th.---Went to St. Patrick's church, but it was so crowded that I could not hear, so I returned to my room. Great discontent among the boys about their boarding houses. We moved to Madam Bram's and found her more agreeable than Madame H. Thus closed another day.

The 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th.---All pass without anything of interest except the last. We had a muss at an auction, and our boys came off victorious.

Friday, 19th. ---Poor Huston, who had been sick for some days, was taken to the Charity Hospital. I was sorry to see him taken from us, but I hope it is for the best. The boys having become scarce of means concluded to raise the wind, so they gave it out that one of our number was in the caboose, and that it would require $15 to get him out. They received $10, which was sufficient to dry up their tears.

Saturday, 20th. ---Went this morning to the hospital. Found Huston better. Visited many wards; saw a number of patients. The institution is an excellent one; it is supported by the state and a tax levied on the city. This evening some six of our friends who had come with us concluded to abandon the expedition and return to Kentucky. In this they may have acted wisely, but I have started and will see it out. Visited a cemetery; found it very beautiful. One would almost wish to die that he might be buried there. Many of the tombs were decorated with flowers. Saw some engaged in ornamenting the tombs. How strange is the contrast between the cemetery of the rich and poor. Some of our boys went out to the lake and got drunk. One got very desperate and said he was fifteen miles from home and did not have a cent so he would drown himself. An old oyster woman standing by became very much alarmed and coat the fellow by the coat tail and begged him not to commit the desperate act--the water was only two feet deep.

21st, 22d, 23d, and 24th---Passed without incident.

Thursday, 25th---The appointed day of our departure arrived, after many disappointments, and we were ordered aboard the bark Georgiana about 5 o'clock p. m. We hastened to get ready, and have sent baggage and all pell-mell. We marched to the bark with an active step. We found many persons there. After dark the tow-boat approached that was to carry us to the Gulf of Mexico. All is ready. Farewell, New Orleans! Many thoughts crowd upon me. Success, or perhaps an untimely grave is near--time will tell the story--and in the language of one who is an ornament to her sex I will "Hope on, hope forever." I drew my blanket and threw it over my shoulders, and laid it down upon the deck, with the vault of heaven for a covering and went to sleep.

Friday, 26th.---I awoke this morning above Fort Jackson. About 10 o'clock a. m. we anchored about 6 miles from the mouth of the Mississippi and remained the balance of the day.

Saturday, 27th.---About 10 o'clock a. m. a tow-boat came alongside, the cable was made fast, but we had not reached the blue water of the Gulf before what a scene! Sea sick! Yes, sea sick! What a sickness, experience can only tell. It was a magnificent night to behold, the vessels sailing upon the beautiful waters of the gulf. Our bark ploughed the waters as a thing of life. Often had I read and heard of the grandness of the ocean, but it must be seen to be appreciated, but I am too sick to write.

Sunday, 28th.---At sea--Sick, yes, sick is the word! Saw several sails and a large number of fish; little flying fish formed an attractive feature of the day as they skipped merrily over the water. A bird paid us a visit today, and lit upon the vessel.

At sea, Monday, 29th---Yet sick.--Oh! how truly distressing it is. Welcome again little bird; rest thy weary limbs. We had a shower of rain that cooled the atmosphere. Various indeed are the speculations among the men as to the result of this expedition. Many of them are very visionary and idle.

At sea, Tuesday, 30th.---I am better today. The boys are in better spirits, and time passes off pleasantly.

At sea, May 1st.---I became military today--stood guard over a cask of water in the forenoon, and afternoon the provisions. This evening the coast of Yucatan was in sight, and it was a joyous moment to the boys, but regret soon got the better of them when they learned that the cape had to be doubled before they reached the desired island.

At sea, May 2d.---Sick! 4 o'clock p. m., land appeared in sight, and we soon found that the cape was not yet doubled, so again we go out to sea.

At sea, May 3d.---Today was a reorganization of some of the companies, and I joined Captain Jack Allen's company as a private, for all hopes for a position are now become dimmed by disappointment.

At sea, May 4th.---I am quite indisposed. Oh, this sea sickness is a dreadful thing, yet I find some have good appetites when they get well. My friend _______, from Kentucky, confidently told me on our way to the gulf, pointing to a fine ring upon his finger, that that should be sent to the bottom of the gulf, for it was given to him by Miss ______, and that they had quarreled and he had turned soldier. My friend's appetite got the better of his resolution, and I saw the fine ring exchanged for something to eat.

At sea, May 5th.---No church bell tolls the hour for worship of God. To our great joy we came in sight of the island of Contoy and concluded to land.

At sea, May 6th.---Today the wind was so high that we could not approach nearer than one mile of the shore, and had to land by means of small boats, and it required the most of the day. I was among the last that went ashore. After carrying my baggage to the camp I took a stroll along the seashore, and for the first time saw and heard the restless waves of the sea. It was a glorious moment in my life. How poor and feeble are the descriptions of the grandeur of the ocean. The sublime emotion that awakens in one's mind admit of no description. A thousand emotions rushed upon my mind as I walked along. My relatives and friends felt more dear to me than they ever had, and why was this? I can not tell. I returned to the camp more deeply impressed with the grandeur of nature, the wisdom of God and my own nothingness.

Contoy Island, May 7th.---This island is situated in the Caribbean Sea, on the western coast of the Yucatan. It is some five miles in length, and averages three-fourths of a mile in width. There were upon it 3 or 4 fishermen's huts, deserted, and a few wells, but the water was so brackish that we could not drink it. With a fellow soldier by the name of Edward Davis, I spent the day exploring the island. We found only the sea grapes and hicoaco. I ate some of the latter, and it served very well as a substitute for water. As we approached the extreme southern portion of the island we came upon two Mexicans gather cay-can (a weed to make soap). My companion spoke their language, and in a few moments they became very sociable, and gave us some water, and invited us to go with them to their boat, where we met with some more of them. They all welcomed us, and gave us to eat corn cake, milk and water mixed to drink, and we were prepared to regard it as a very fine repast. They used a primitive mill. It consisted o a large stone; on the upper side was cut an inclined plane; at the foot of the plane was cut another plane almost perpendicular to the first, some 3 inches in width and length, corresponding with the width of the first plane, and with a long stone almost square and longer than the width of the planes, and you have the mill. Now they would place the grains of corn on the inclined plane, and by the friction of the two stones the meal was produced. By the side of this hand-mill (for it was not a water mill) was placed, near the miller, a cocoanut shell filled with water in which the miller would occasionally dip his fingers and moisten the corn. We told them how much a mill would grind in the U. S. in a day, and that they used there steam and water to grind corn; they appeared to be perfectly astonished, and asked many questions about the United States. They had with them one woman, but she remained concealed in the cabin of the little boat. They desired to know our names. We bid our new friends "adios" (God be with you) and invited them to come to see us. These people had come to the island to gather a weed to make soap, which was an article of traffic among the islanders.

Upon this barren, desolate, and uninhabited island we found a grave in which were the remains of a female in a mahogany coffin. From an examination of the remains, she was supposed to have been about 30 years of age. Her hair was auburn. At the head of the grave was a cedar cross upon which was inscribed "Selindiro Ferogo." What can be the true story of this lone grave can be but a matter of conjecture with me. If the language of the dashing waves of the sea could be interpreted as they continually speak in tones of thunder at the grave, they might reveal some fact that would add to the calender of crimes yet to dim humanity. On the eastern shores of the island we found a quilt and pillow, and from their position one would suppose that their possessor had rested his last time upon earth, and they were the monuments to mark the spot. Oh, could inanimate matter speak, what revelations! The City of Birds was the name I gave to a part of the island that was inhabited by innumerable birds of various species. There were large numbers assembled together upon two hillsides, some sitting on bushes, others on the ground, and there was in this great family birds of all ages, some so old and decrepit that they were scarcely able to get out of your way; all appeared quite indifferent to our presence, and disputed the soil with us by fierce hissing as we approached near to them. We found on the ground fish by the side of many of the old birds, and on inquiry we were told by a Mexican that the young birds caught fish and brought them to the old ones. What a lesson! Deformed humanity should study it in this cold and changing world of ours!

On our return to camp we found preparations being made to reimbark in order to go to the island of Moharies, where we could get water. Four companies went aboard this evening to facilitate our departure. After supper a small party of us went a turtle hunting, but we were unsuccessful--so, no soup. Another night we sleep in the sand upon the sea shore listening to the voice of the deep.

Wednesday, 8th.---Arose before day and prepared to go aboard ship by 11 o'clock a. m. We were then ready tp sail, but unfavorable wind prevented us from reaching the island, distantly only 15 miles.

At sea, 9th.---A calm--and what a thing a calm is at sea! We caught a fine shark, weighing 200 lbs, which was distributed among the men, and we thought it fine. Captain K----- and others tried to play a prank on two Dutchmen for some whiskey, but it failed. The rain tonight made some of us feel rather uncomfortable.

At sea, 10th.---Another failure today. Oh! how anxious we are to land. We find ourselves back at the dame place where we started.

At sea, 11th.---About 10 o'clock a. m. we anchored near the coast of Contoy, after some three days' sailing, greatly to the chagrin and disappointment of all of us, for now all our hopes of landing upon the island of Moharies were blighted. The head wind was so strong and the keel of our bark was too flat, and we were doomed to rest near the shore of a barren island destitute of water; but such is the fate of man--to meet disappointment. The trail of the serpent is traced along his pathway, and a faithful adherence to the precepts of our Divine Master will alone efface it beyond the grave.

At sea, Sunday, 12th.---Today the boys signed an instrument binding themselves to obey the regulations of the army, which were to be in accordance with the regulations of the U. S. army.

Monday, 13th, at anchor.---We were aroused from our beds by the joyful cry: "Here comes the steamer 'Creole,'" so long looked for. Loud were the shouts as she drew near. After a short delay she went to the island Moharius for a supply of water, and was to return to the island of Contoy to convey us to the island of Cuba. We received our uniforms today, which consisted of a red flannel shirt, a cap with a lone star.

At sea, Tuesday, 14th.---All were busy making preparations to go aboard the Creole on her return today, but we looked in vain--she came not. One fellow today called on the cook for his camp kettle and was refused the loan; upon which he reported the fellow to the Colonel, which caused much merriment. Another greeny stepped up to Captain Allen and asked if his mess was full, saying he would like to get into it, and was willing to share the expense.

At sea, Wednesday, 14th.---The Creole came. On went our sea jackets. Gen. Lopez deputized Lt. Col. Pickett, of our regiment, to present us the flag of Cuba, as made by the Revolutionists, which was done by a few appropriate remarks, which were responded to by three cheers. It was truly an inspiring scene to behold upon the tossing billows of the ocean two vessels upon each of which was seen the flags being presented to troops going to fight for the liberty of the oppressed of Cuba. The Creole then ran alongside of the Georgiana and stores and men were placed on board. The Ky. Regt. then joined the Mississippi and Louisiana Regts. Some 20 men here refused to any further with us, and remained to return home. 10 men deserted from the Creole at the island of Moharies, and when they saw the steamer leaving the island they raised the black flag. They retained arms to arm themselves, and strange to say, one man remained on the island that had a brother with us. To my surprise I met with my old school mate, George Sartain, the first time for several years.

At about one o'clock at night we bid adieu to the Georgiana--she to return to New Orleans, and we to go to the island of Cuba. May God guide and direct our steps, is my humble prayer. Muskets were issued to the men today, and they were requested to have them put in good order. My musket was No.___; had the fire sight cut off.

At sea, Thursday, 16th.---Colonel B. of the Mississippi Regt., offered me today the position of commissariat, but the authorities of my regiment were unwilling to transfer me.

At sea, Friday, 17th.---Today was spent in drilling the men in the manual of arms. They were extremely merry. The sight came at last, and it was truly one of the most lovely that my eye ever witnessed.

At sea, Saturday, 18th.---Today has been looked forward to with much anxiety, as it was the day on which we expected to land on the island of Cuba. General Lopez had a council with his officers. We had to take off our uniforms on account of the numerous vessels that sailed near us. Late in the evening we were reviewed by General Lopez, who made a short speech, which was interpreted by General Gonzales. He concluded by saying that we "should remember that we were the sons of Washington and had come to free a people." We then received 60 rounds of ammunition, and made preparations to land at Cardenas.

Sunday, 19th.--2 o'clock a. m. we approached the city of Cardenas and found a number of vessels in port. Them we began to feel the difficulties that surrounded us. We grounded near the shore, but after much difficulty succeeded in landing. Lt. Col. Pickett took command of a detachment of 60 men, including Captain Allen's company (of which I was a member) and a part of Capt. Johnson's company, and was ordered to pass through the city and take possession of the depot and cars beyond that place, on the road leading to Havana. Scarcely had we accomplished this when we heard the discharge of arms. The war had commenced. It was to do or die. The fight last from 4 o'clock until 6 o'clock a. m. The firing was commenced on part Spaniards who were quartered in the house of the Governor, and from other houses. It was magnificent to hear the grand roaring of musketry and rifles. Then went up the loud and long shouts of our men. In the meantime the house of the Governor was set on fire by our men. The Governor them surrendered, and again is heard the shouts of our boys. General Lopez came into where we were stationed and informed us that his Adjt. Gen. Gonzales, Cols. Wheat, O'Hara and others were wounded, and also that some of our men were killed. We remained at the depot until evening, when we received orders to march back to town. As we approached Main street we saw the Miss. and La. Regts filing off in the direction of our steamer. In the rear of one of the Regts. marched the Governor and 2 officers that were captured. We were halted as we crossed Main street, but in a few moments our position was changed from a perpendicular to a parallel to Main street, and scarcely where we halted before the Spaniards commenced firing on our troops. The fight lasted but a short time. They made some three charges with Lancers, who fought bravely. Seven of them were killed by Capt. Allen's company (of which I was a member). The Spaniards also had some infantry placed in our rear, but their horsemen failed to accomplish their plan, namely, to break our ranks, and let the infantry cut off our retreat. The number engaged on the part of the Spaniards is not definitely known to me, but their loss was doubtless very considerable for the number engaged. We lost in the two actions of that day about 40 men.. We were victorious, and marched in good order to the steamer Creole. It was in the fight that my gallant friend, Capt. John A. Logan, of Shelbyville, was mortally wounded, and died of his wounds on the night of the same day. I saw with pain the poor wounded men as they were carried to the boat. As we went aboard the steamer 3 or 4 of our men were accidently wounded by the discharge of their pistols. We had gone but a few miles from the port when our boat grounded, and we spent the balance of the night in getting her off. Provisions and arms were thrown overboard, but still she was fast until 4 loads of men were removed to a large rock (by the small boats) and finally she moved off. General Lopez thought proper to liberate the Governor and two officers on condition that they would save the life or lives of any of the men that might be left on the island.

At sea, Monday, 20th.---Today the vote was taken whether we should go to Key West, or attempt a second landing. It was decided that we should go to Key West. We consigned the mortal remains of Capt. John A. Logan to the restless waves of the sea, and also the remains of one other. Capt. Logan was buried at ½ past 3 o'clock p. m. , in 24.3 N Lat., 81.5 W. Long. Oh! it was a melancholy scene to witness--the remains of a friend given up to the waves of the deep.

We anchored up the coast of Key West that night.

Tues, 21st.---We obtained a pilot and set out for Key West, but a few hours later discovered a Spanish man-of-war, the "Pizarro," and we soon were made aware of the fact that we were to be captured if possible. The struggle was a desperate one, and lasted some three hours.

Key West, Wednesday, 22nd.---Key West is a pleasant village, situated on the island. I found much of interest during the day in the way of scenery. The inhabitants treated us with much kindness.

Thursday, 23rd.---We made many efforts to get off today, but met with disappointment. Others were more fortunate. Some stood upon the shore and saw their friends depart, while those that remained were the personification of despair. Capt. Allen left today. The U. S. authorities arrested several of our officers, but they were released upon giving bond for their appearance in New Orleans. I called to see Thomas F. King, an atty. at this place, and found him to be a very agreeable gentleman. He purchased my double-barreled shot gun , which secured means to pay my passage to New Orleans.

Friday, 24th.---We secured today a schooner, and by 2 o'clock p. m. we were aboard, about 200. There was a heavy gale to night and much anxiety was manifested for our safety.

At sea, Saturday, 25.---About 10 o'clock a. m.--A private by the name of Mayfield, of the Miss. Regt., died suddenly, and was buried at sea. Lt. Triplett was appointed to perform the funeral ceremony. He read the 4th chapter of Romans.

At sea, Sunday, 26th.---The Holy Sabbath was passed not unlike other days of the week. We caught a fine shark today; the morning was calm, but we had a fine gale in the evening.

At sea, Monday, 27th.---There was a steamer that caused quite a commotion among our men, on account of the steamer that was seen approaching, for fear she was a Spanish man-of-war, but she turned out to be a U. S. steamer. A fine gale in the evening.

At sea, Tuesday, 28th.---We had a calm this morning . Four of our boys got into the yawl for the purpose of pulling the sloop along. After they got us going ahead they loosened the yawl and ran off with it. In the meantime we had a fine breeze, but were detained some two hours on account of the yawl company. We passed the light house today at the mouth of Tampa Bay. About 10 o'clock p. m. we cast anchor. The Captain told us we were within 4 miles of Tampa, when in fact we were 10 miles from Tampa. We were all landed by daylight.

Wednesday, 29th.---We set out for Tampa at daylight and had a hard march. I tore off the vamp of one of my shoes, and was almost barefooted. When I entered town my first care was to buy shoes and a hat. I obtained boarding at the house of Dr. Roberts, and met with some very agreeable persons boarding there. Made the acquaintance of a Miss Elizabeth Livers, the daughter of a gentleman who was a Commissariat in the U. S. army. General Twig was in command here of the U. S. army, and ordered rations to be issued to our men, which were thankfully received.

Thursday, 30th.---I called this morning to see General Twig, and found him very talkative. He advised us to get out of danger as soon as possible, but thought that we ought to have remained in Cuba. Tampa is a pleasant little village. I found many kind people there. A gentleman of the Commissary Department of the U. S. army gave me provision for myself and 6 men to last us to New Orleans.

Tampa, Friday. 31st.---This morning I went to see the Captain of the Hornet as to the time pf her departure for New Orleans; and by the aid of three sailors in a yawl the Hornet was towed out about a mile from the port of Tampa.

Saturday, Bay of Tampa, June 1st.---Owing to the calm we did not get off until 11 o'clock a. m. and sailed about 23 miles that day.

Sunday, 2nd.---The wind was not favorable until late in the evening. The Captain caught a fine fish. Capt. Stude told me of a man who lives on one of the Keys that goes by the name of Happy John. He lives alone, having but one cat and dog, and raises melons for a support. Which requires some two hour labor per day. A Mrs. Clark, of Tampa, told me of a stream called Pedas, or Pedrass creek, in Florida, that caused all substances that remained in it to become petrified.

Monday, 3d June.---A fine gale.

At sea, Tuesday, 4th.---The wind continues favorable, and we are all anxious once more to see the mouth of the Miss. river. Here it is before us, and its banks stand like the arms of a dear friend waiting to receive us. Oh, how beautifully green the banks appear. Yes, they address themselves to my bosom, and are responded to by the inmost joy of my breast; and for all this I return my humble thanks to my Heavenly Father. Please, Oh God, accept of them.

Wednesday, 5th, Miss. river.---Finding no tow-boat, and the wind being favorable, we sailed up the river to within 33 miles of New Orleans, and anchored.

Thursday, 6th.---I awoke 30 miles from New Orleans. My spirits were worn out by disappointments and fatigue. The Alimmda, a coasting steamer, landed near us, and we went aboard, and I had the pleasure of meeting with my old school mate, Larose, of New Orleans who was cl'k on the boat. We landed a short time at the battle ground (Chamlette) we reached New Orleans about 3 o'clock p. m., and I met my old friend Nuna Larose, who loaned me $10, which enabled me to pay my passage to Louisville on board of Geo. Wilkins Kendall, commanded by Capt. Norton.

Friday, the 7th.---I had my attention somewhat attracted by Irish emigrants on the boat today. Their faces were so very hopeful.

Saturday, the 8th.---We landed at Vicksburg, and I called to see my friend Samuel B. Harwood.

Sunday, 9th.---This day passed without anything of interest transpiring.

Monday, 10th.

Tuesday, 11th.---We saw the corpse of some poor human beings that had drifted ashore.

Wednesday, 12th.---We landed to bury one of the emigrants, and it was amusing to see them out on the ground for the first time since they left Europe. One old Paddy stepped up to the cornfield fence, and after gazing for some time at the corn he said: "Well I believe it is not tobacco." Had quite a muss with an orange man and another fellow whom he charged with stealing his oranges. The shallowness of the water caused us some trouble.

Thursday, 13th.---I found myself this morning near Owensboro, and we got along very well until we reached French Island, where we saw the Oregon aground, and soon our boat went aground, and he we are and it is night. 3 Irishmen got in the yawl to ride and we carried off by the current under the bow of the Oregon. 2 succeeded in getting out, while the third had risen for the last time when he was rescued by men in a yawl. I asked him if he was sensible during the time he was in the water: : "Yes," says he, "I was thinking what would I do with myself."

Friday, 14th, and 15th.---I awoke and found the boat still aground.

Sunday, 16th.---Off of the bar, and now for Louisville and from thence home.


P. S.---The foregoing is but a brief skeleton of the expedition to Cuba. I have much to say respecting it, but I have not the time nor disposition to do so at the present.