No new trial set in deaths of 6 Jesuits
Ex-Salvadoran president won't be charged in priests' murders
SAN SALVADOR -- (AP) -- A Salvadoran judge has decided not to
ex-President Alfredo Cristiani and six generals in the killings of six Jesuit priests
Justice Ana Rodríguez ruled Tuesday night that it was too
late to pursue the
case. The statute of limitations to pursue criminal cases under Salvadoran law is
``Although it has been said that I was pressured [to rule a certain
decision adheres completely to the law,'' Rodríguez said.
The Jesuit community of Central America University, where the
and which filed the lawsuit, said it would appeal.
The priests, five Spaniards and a Salvadoran, were shot to death
by an army
commando unit along with their housekeeper and her daughter on Nov. 16, 1989,
during the country's 12-year civil war.
The priests reportedly were targeted for their writings, among
other reasons, at a
time when Roman Catholic lay and religious workers were speaking out against
the U.S.-backed Salvadoran government.
A U.S. congressional investigation found they had been roused
from their beds
and shot by soldiers.
Nine members of an anti-rebel commando force were accused.
A jury absolved seven of the suspects in 1991. Two others were
were then freed under an amnesty ordered by then-President Cristiani.
The Jesuits claimed Cristiani and the others must have known about
have blocked the killings.