El Salvador, magistrate will not reopen case of slain Jesuit priests
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador (AP) -- A magistrate has rejected an appeal to
reopen the case of six priests and two women who were slain during the
country's 12-year civil war, local media reported Saturday.
The Jesuit-run Universidad Centroamericana had filed a complaint alleging
several army generals were involved in planning the murder of six priests and two
women in 1989, and that former President Alfredo Cristiani and other officials did
nothing to prevent it.
Magistrate Belisario Artiga said he could not reopen the case because of
amnesty law approved in 1992, two months after peace accords were signed,
prevents the prosecution of soldiers, guerrillas and civilians for any atrocities
committed from 1980 to 1990, local media reported.
Cristiani, who left office in 1994, had said that he was willing to face
prosecutors accept the university's demand to reopen the case. The six priests,
who worked at the university, allegedly had been suspected of sympathy for the
country's rebel movement.
Copyright 2000 The Associated Press.