Whereabouts of intruders in Cuba incident unknown
HAVANA - (AP) -- The whereabouts of 21 young men who crashed through the
gates of the Mexican Embassy in
a stolen bus remained unknown Saturday, a day after they were evicted from the mission by Cuban police acting
at Mexico's request.
It was still unclear what would happen to the men after the two-day episode,
which was sparked by rumors that
Mexico was offering refuge to Cubans who wanted to leave the island.
Relatives of some of the men said they did not know where they were being
held. Mexican officials said they knew
but were not going to release details.
''We think it is up to the Cuban government'' to decide whether that information
should be made public, Mexican
Ambassador Ricardo Pascoe Pierce said Saturday.
Cuba has offered no information on the men since a Friday morning communiqué
reporting their eviction. The
group stole a bus Wednesday night and crashed into the Mexican Embassy gates, then rushed inside in an
unsuccessful bid to leave Cuba. Cuban police took the men from the embassy Friday morning, at Mexico's
Meanwhile, a young man who evidently had been drinking vaulted over the
metal fence around the seafront
American mission in Havana on Saturday.
The unidentified man in his early 20s entered the U.S. Interests Section
grounds about 10:30 a.m., said a U.S.
official, speaking on condition of anonymity. The source said the man was an ``intruder.''
While being interviewed by U.S. immigration officers, the man asked whether
he could go home and the officers
helped him back to his house, the American official said.