HAVANA -- (AP) -- Prosecutors are seeking sentences ranging from
20 to 30
years in prison for three Guatemalans charged with terrorism for attempting to
place bombs at tourist spots last year, the government said Friday.
The Communist Party daily newspaper Granma said prosecutors have
recommended 30 years for Miguel Abraham Herrera Morales and 20 years for
Maria Elena Gonzalez, both of whom were arrested in March 1998, after allegedly
trying to plant explosive devices in public places.
Prosecutors are seeking a prison sentence of 25 years for Gonzalez's
Jazid Ivan Fernandez, who was arrested two weeks later, when he arrived in Cuba
to try to get his wife out of jail. Authorities say that at the time, he confessed to
involvement in the plan to bomb tourist installations.
A court date was not announced for the three, who remain in jail
Two Salvadorans, Raul Ernesto Cruz Leon and Otto Rene Rodriguez
were sentenced to death in a related case in March. Their cases are being
Cruz Leon was convicted of planting bombs in five hotels and one
including one blast that killed an Italian tourist in 1997. Rodriguez Llerena was
convicted of planting a bomb in a hotel and of plotting similar bombings at sites
sacred to Cuban communists, including the tomb of revolutionary icon Ernesto
``Che'' Guevara in the central city of Santa Clara.
Last year, Cuba charged that the five Central Americans were part
of a Central
America-based network directed and funded by the Cuban American National
Foundation, based in Miami.
The foundation denied those accusations and has always denied
using violence in
its campaigns against the government of President Fidel Castro.
Cuba has also charged that the five defendants got their instructions
Posada Carriles, a Cuban exile accused of responsibility in the 1976 bombing of a
Cubana airliner that killed 73 people.
Posada Carriles was twice acquitted of that action, but spent
nine years in a
Venezuelan prison before escaping in 1985.
Copyright 1999 Miami Herald